1964 marked the first time Porsche race cars lined up on the grid sporting the famed number 9 in its model name. The 904 Carrera GTS launched its career on the Circuit des 24 Heures with a quadruple victory in the two-litre class. Entered by Auguste Veuillet, who had claimed the first class win for Porsche back in 1951, Robert Buchet and Guy Ligier brought home victory ahead of Ben Pon and Henk van Zalinge driving for Racing Team Holland. Herbert Muller, later one of Porsche’s most renowned race drivers, tackled Le Mans for the first time in a Porsche and with Claude Sage snatched fourth place in class. The 904 Carrera GTS was the first Porsche to feature a particularly light plastic body that was bonded with a ladder-type frame made of steel – a ground-breaking technological solution. The chassis was twice as rigid as the frame of the 718. Following good Porsche tradition, the lightweight 904 Carrera GTS weighed around 650 kilos. Two different engines contested the long distance classic: the four best-placed Porsche featured a two-litre, four-cylinder unit transplanted from the Carrera 2 that delivered up to 180 hp (132 kW). Edgar Barth/Herbert Linge and Gerhard Mitter/Colin Davis helmed the 904/8 cars equipped with -litre, eight-cylinder engines that were based on the Formula 1 power plant and provided an impressive 260 hp (191 kW). Clutch failure threw both eight-cylinder versions contesting the class for prototypes out of contention.